As affiliate partners, we may receive compensation from providers if you purchase services through the links provided. We believe in the quality of these providers and all opinions are our own!
ReGain – Relationship Counseling
Getting help is often harder than it should be!
Anxiety, chronic stress, and various degrees of depression consume millions of people every day. Those that find the strength to actively seek professional help often find themselves confronted with many barriers, like the limited availability of therapy slots, or the fear that a colleague or employer might find out about it.
Many simply can’t afford it and don’t have sufficient insurance coverage. While the hectic schedule of everyday life can also be a problem, more and more people are looking at online therapy as a possible solution.
Online mental-health therapy is often referred to as telehealth, telemental health, web therapy, distance therapy, e-therapy, ICBT (Internet-delivered cognitive behaviour therapy) or telepsychology services as well.
Seeking help online might just be the right alternative to balance cost, convenience, anonymity, and availability!
But how does online health therapy fare against traditional face-to-face therapy?
There have been numerous studies on the subject, some of them listed on the website of the Telemental Health Institute, which show that telemental healthcare is comparable to in-house counseling and can be considered a viable alternative.
Other studies came to the following conclusions:
So overall, it seems that under the right circumstance, online therapy is worth a try. While there are many providers claiming to be the best one, not every service is suited for all scenarios. Some providers also care for their patients better than others, especially in terms of what patients get for their money.
Some of the best online therapy services out there:
BetterHelp is a well-established provider and one of the top choices of clients, offering overwhelming services to more than a million people with over 2500 licensed therapists. The board accredited professionals have joined the team passing through an intensive screening process and they have years of hands-on expertise on the relevant field.
They provide carefully curated services for individuals, couples, and even teens that includes communication access via chat, messaging, phone calls, or video. Upon signing up for a free account, you are matched with a suitable counselor in regards to your issues.
Moreover, BetterHelp.com provides you with the flexibility of choosing or changing your own therapist fitting to your comfort zone with no penalty at all. BetterHelp is HIPAA-compliant to ensure the identity confidentiality of the clients while maintaining their integrity.
Cost: Price ranges from $40 to $70 per week for unlimited counseling.
- Elaborately explains the therapy process for the best outcome
- Flexibility of contacting the counselor at any time
- Multiple means of communication to a therapist is available
- Many therapists offer live sessions and provide essential worksheets
- Financial aid is provided to those who need it
- Allows you to schedule live sessions with the therapist
- User-friendly interface for easy navigation
- Offers a free-trial period of seven days
- Therapists’ response time varies
- Only one pricing plan is available
- Therapists are assigned based on the questionnaire
- Additional fees may be applicable for video sessions
Regain is the choice if you are struggling with marital or relationship issues. This incredible platform offers extensive mental health support to couples and individuals with problems ranging from intimacy to infidelity and many more.
Well-experienced and licensed psychologists in the relevant field are assigned to couples following their specific needs. The couple is then ensured a secure online space with their counselor to communicate 24/7 with any smart device. Allowing both the partners to see their written communication does not hinder in setting up individual live sessions if they want to.
The subscription service allows couples to choose between short or long therapy sessions. Regain aids in letting the bitterness away while reviving your relationship for the better.
Cost: Price ranges from $40 to $ $70 per week.
- Thorough assessment through a questionnaire
- You can sign-up with alias names
- Encourages video sessions when needed
- Specialized therapists for relationship counseling
- Specific messages can be removed from records to ensure privacy
- 256-bit encryption system for information protection
- Couples can attend sessions together while being physically apart
- No extra payment required for couple counseling compared to a single person
- Does not allow three-way video sessions
- Therapists are assigned through an automated matching process
- No live customer service is available for help
- Response from therapists may take longer than 24 hours
Teen Counselling is an excellent platform specifically designed to address the issues of teenagers. Teenagers are vulnerable to various emotions during the developmental process. Parents are strongly encouraged to take an active part in supporting their children through these sensitive years.
Highly qualified therapists are included in the team with expertise in handling common teenage issues for the most optimum output. Issues like bullying, anxiety, depression, or eating disorders are discussed by the counselors to help teenagers.
There are two separate sessions for parents and teens for confidentiality purposes. Parents lead the role of finding a suitable therapist for their teen for future sessions. Teen Counselling discreetly provides special guidance to parents with valuable lessons to acquire the right coping and communication skills. However, therapists inform parents if there are safety concerns regarding the child.
Teens get the freedom of communicating with their therapist privately whenever needed through messages, live chat, phone calls, or video. Teen counseling does not comply if your teen is mandated with court orders for counseling.
Cost: Price ranges from $40 to $70, depending on the subscription plan.
- Various means of online communication is available
- Maintains strict confidentiality at all times
- No limits on the number of sessions
- Allows unlimited access to therapists whenever needed
- Separate communication environment for teens and parents
- Detailed questionnaire to evaluate the area of focus
- Does not offer an official diagnosis of ADHD or serious mental disorders
- Requires paperwork sign-up by the parents
Online-Therapy.com offers an ultimate toolkit to balance the efforts of clients and therapists at both ends. Accredited professionals with credentials of high degrees and expertise are integrated into the team for the best possible outcome.
Besides providing all the necessary services of communication via messaging and live chats, the site also extends its scope to interactive strategic lessons planned for you. Collaborative worksheets, engaging activities, and videos are designed to track mental health progress.
This program is based on online cbt therapy (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) and is designed to push yourself to the point of overcoming the deceptive thoughts and emotions that obstructs a happy mindset. Upon completion of worksheets, you are given feedback on your regular progress.
The site provides a convenient platform to reach out to your counselor whenever you need through their communication tools. Online-Therapy is an ideal choice for those who need a little thrust to get them going for their goal.
Cost: Paid subscription starts with less than $32/week.
Get a 20% discount if you sign up through Hufflebuzz.com
- Ensures information confidentiality
- Allows unlimited messages to the therapist
- Interactive activities to overcome daily challenges
- Allows conversation in the forum while being anonymous
- Easy to cancel a paid subscription at any time
- Comparatively affordable service
- Comes with 4 different subscriptions including a free plan
- Not suitable for individuals requiring long consistent sessions
- No more than 30 minutes of live chat is allowed per week
- Therapists are available for only eight hours per day
As a professional online counseling platform for the LGBTQ community, Pride Counseling is dedicated to providing a safe and accepting environment for LGBTQ individuals who are struggling with their identity, mental health issues or simply need someone to talk to. Pride Counseling believes that help should be accessible to everyone, so they work diligently provide a platform for people to get the help they need discretely, affordably, and conveniently.
Counselors on this platform are licensed, trained, and experienced accredited psychologists, therapists, social workers, or licensed professional counselors. Pride Counseling ensures that you are paired with a counselor who fits your objectives, preferences, and the type of issues you are dealing with. All of their counselors specialize in the LGBTQ community, but each counselor has a different approach and area of focus. Rest assured that Pride Counseling will find the right person who can help you achieve the best results.
You can get counseling through exchanging messages, live chatting, speaking over the phone or video conferencing with their counselors. And you can use different ways at different times as you wish, based on your needs, availability, and convenience.
If you should ever need professional help or a shoulder to lean on, Pride Counseling is a place where you can foster your mental health in a safe and accepting environment.
Cost: $60- $80 per week (billed every 4 weeks)
- Individuals are matched accordingly with certified and experienced counsellors who can help them attain the best results.
- Counselling can be done over messaging, live chat, phone call or video conferencing.
- Schedule and mode of communication is based on your needs, availability and convenience.
- Subscription includes an account where you can go back and read all of your counsellors’ messages to you anytime.
- There is no limit on the number of messages and sessions you can have with your counsellor.
- Pride Counseling is web- accessible for disabled users.
- The platform values privacy, so they do not ask for your full name or contact information. They only ask for your emergency contact information.
- Changing of payment plan and cancelling your subscription can be easily done online.
- Services offered using Pride Counseling are generally not covered by health insurance.
- Pride Counseling is not capable of substituting for traditional face-to-face therapy in every case.
- Providers will not be able to make any official diagnosis to fulfil any court order or prescribe medication.
Faith Counseling is a professional mental health service that allows users to connect with licensed therapists that share a Christian background. In combining Biblical wisdom with clinical expertise, Faith Counseling strives to holistically improve clients’ well-being so that they may feel mentally, emotionally, and spiritually healthy.
This platform takes a holistic and spiritual method in achieving better mental health. Their counsellors are practising Christians and are licensed, trained, experienced in their fields. Each counsellor has shared their testimony prior to joining the platform and has verified that their beliefs align with Faith Counseling’s statement of faith.
After your initial subscription, you will be matched with a counselor who fits your needs so you can achieve a better and healthier mental state. If you find that your counselor isn’t a good fir for you, then you may choose to be matched with a different counselor.
Faith Counseling can help you improve the quality of your life through a Christian perspective. By inviting God into the conversation and incorporating spiritual practices into the therapy process, Faith Counseling a creates an environment for you to achieve both psychological and spiritual wholeness.
Cost: $40 to $70 per week (billed every 4 weeks)
- Operates as a monthly subscription service and provides access to counselling at drastically more affordable rates than traditional, session-based pricing.
- Membership can be cancelled at any time for any reason.
- Counsellors are practising Christians and are accredited psychologists, marriage and family therapists, clinical social workers, or licensed professional counsellors.
- Mode and frequency of communication are based on your needs, availability, and convenience.
- Provides state-of-the-art technology, operation, and infrastructure to protect your privacy and information.
- Option to stay anonymous
- Service is not capable of substituting for traditional face-to-face therapy in every case.
- Providers won’t be able to make official diagnosis in fulfillment of court orders or prescribed medications.
- Services are generally not covered by health insurance
The sole purpose of TalkSpace is to provide the most convenient environment for those in need of professional online counseling. With more than 1500 licensed therapists on board, specialized in specific areas, you get to unravel your thoughts with the one that suits you best.
The process starts with an initial assessment of your mental conditions to match a therapist as per your needs. The therapist is then assigned as your regular counselor. It’s an open-end communication process from anywhere at any time via chat features using a desktop or mobile device. For urgent needs, live video sessions could be scheduled for prompt communication.
The therapists have proven records of treating depression, anxiety, addictions, PTSD, LQBTQ issues, relationship complications and suicidal apprehensions. For patient’s confidentiality and security, chat details are encrypted on TalkSpace data servers and all communication mediums are HIPAA-complaint.
Cost: TalkSpace provides three different plans considering your budget:
- Unlimited Messaging Therapy Plus for $65/week.
- Unlimited Messaging Therapy Premium for $79/week.
- LiveTalk Therapy Unlimited for $99/week.
- A straightforward and easy sign-up process
- A real individual assists you to connect with the most suitable therapist
- Several modes of communication via text, audio, and video messaging along with live sessions are available
- You can provide daily feedback
- Prompt customer service for any queries
- Simple mobile app interface for easy navigation
- Some therapists might not be flexible to live appointments
- Time zone difference might be a concern for non- U.S inhabitants
- You need to sign-up for an entire month’s service
- No options for a free trial
Why Choose Online Therapy Over In-Person Sessions?
Technological advancement has led to easy access to the internet with few clicks and taps to get you the desired services you need.
Telepsychology is a keen topic of interest for researchers to evaluate its advantages over in-office or in-person sessions. However, there are some key benefits for both paid and free online therapy to be a popular choice.
Online therapy takes a lot less time from your daily schedule making it an incredibly stress-free session from home while keeping the worries at your disposal. You no longer need to travel all the way to your counselor for an in-office meeting.
- Cuts The Costs
Online therapy sessions are reasonably cost-effective than in-person or in-office counseling. Some apps or websites provide significantly favourable packages of unlimited usage on a monthly or weekly basis.
- Easy Access
Smartphones, laptops, or tablets are now a regular gadget in every house that makes it accessibly simple to communicate through online messaging, video or audio calls.
Moreover, it keeps you from the discomfort of in-person counseling sessions while revealing sensitive personal information.
Ideal Candidates For Online Counselling
Free online therapy and paid subscriptions are both within a specific boundary to treat individual candidates since the whole concept is a virtual communication.
Mental disorders vary in severities ranging from mild conditions to extremities. So not all candidates are suitable for online therapy.
General anxiety, depression, stress, sleeping or eating disorders, and relationship problems are within the scope of online counseling.
Individuals with severe mental disorders, suicidal tendencies, or psychotic disorders are not recommended for online therapy. Therefore, understanding the need of your mental state is essential for the necessary treatment.
Things to consider while choosing online therapy
The increased ease of online accessibility comes with its own drawbacks. Despite the advantages of online therapy, this is not always the best option for everyone requiring professional provision. Validating the authenticity of the online therapy services and the therapist is a vital issue.
Key factors to consider before signing up for online therapy:
- Look for a licensed therapist
All professional therapists or psychologists need to be licensed by the state to qualify for practice. Before signing up to an online service, do your part of the research to ensure the legitimacy of the person claiming to be your therapist on the other end.
- Confidentiality and authenticity of the Site
Make sure the sensitive personal information you share on the website is kept confidential and not misused. The sites should at least be implying HIPAA compliancy to verify users’ identity.
- Clarity of Cost
Online therapy services vary in price range according to the means of counseling exchange and the time period. A clear idea of the payment scheme for the services is important.
Online Therapy is a new venture in the area of mental health to assist people within their comfort zone. Be it signs of depression, chronic stress, sleep issues or relationship problems; online counseling services can help in proving the emotional support to let you out of the cage.
Just like everything else, online therapy also has its fair share of pros and cons. So, it leaves you with the option of some research to choose the one that best suits your needs.
The availability of online therapy with its convenience and cost-effectiveness is commendable and definitely makes it easier to avail their service if you wish to boost up your mental health. It’s high time to choose the best online therapy for your wellbeing within the comfort of your home.